Adverlets

Thursday, March 26, 2009

CaM WhoRe ?!?!

I started blogging and reading others' blog only for the last few months. In the blogosphere, I learnt a new term, perhaps a language of cyberspace,which quite a lot of people like to use....the is CAM WHORE. Of course, I know most of the writer means snapping picture and showing off their face. I think I am not alone, I check with a few friends, of which, one is an English lecturer, he told me that he had not heard of this term either. However, as we know the meaning of whore is prostitute. I am really curious, why people out there what to relate themselves with prostitute when they snap photo of themselves?! I know the the term cam whore is not in the dictionary. However, I got the meaning from Wikipedia, I am not 100% sure that the finding is correct, that is why I post this up, I hope readers out there can share your opinion..esp those who have used the term before....

According to Wikipedia, cam whore is an individual who performs sexual services on the Internet with web cam software in exchange for money or goods, usually by a fixed per minute fee of by encouraging viewers to purchase items on their wish lists or add to their online account. The term also used to refer to individuals who post pictures or videos of themselves on the Internet to gain attention.
According to Wikipedia, the term cam whore is also synonymous with attention whore. Oh, then I have a clue. I think most youngsters use this to describe themselves as someone who wants to get attention...ok ok...see I am so out..

However, as per Wikipedia, the term cam whore was originated from the story of Justin Berry. Justin Berry, a thirteen year old who, after hooking up his web cam and listing himself on an online forum, was propositioned by an older men to strip and masturbate on camera. Eventually, he started his own paysite, sold video recordings of his encounters with Mexican prostitutes and etc. He made several hundred thousand dollars over five years. CNN referred him as a cam whore.
Knowing the story behind the term cam whore, I think it is really a disgusting term. Do you still want to use it?

2 comments:

Grace Marie said...

Haha, that is why i never use the term cam whore. I found it weird neither i like to snap pictures of myself and post it on my blog.

SimpleGirl said...

haha...agreed with you. I am not against self-taking photo(which is a trend of the youngsters) but the term is really...maybe we are not that "in" haha

Related Posts with Thumbnails