Adverlets

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

灌汤包 Guan Tang Bao Experience at Yuyuan,Shanghai



When I visited Yuyuan 豫园 or the local call it Cheng Huang Miao ( City God Temple)城隍庙 at Shanghai, I got a chance to try out one of the local famous snack - 灌汤包 Guan Tang Bao . That was my first time sipping the soup from the bao using a straw. It has got to be sip slowly as the soup is super hot!
The crab egg base soup was simply delicious, sold at RMB 13.


I bought my Guan Tang Bao at this stall - Shanghai Snacks


The bao is freshly made and steamed, waiting time was about 10mins, but worthy !!! This stall also sell many different kind of local snacks.
Eagerly waiting for my bao...steaming in action...





Visit to Shanghai will not be completed without coming to Yuyuan. This place has got more than 700 years history, which was the heart of business, politics and culture of Shanghai. It was desribed as the root of Shanghai. I really admire the effort of the government to maintain these nicely reserved old Shanghai buildings. Not to forget to try their snacks and shopping around to get some real value for money souvenirs. I did not buy anything inside those "high class" shops, as they are expensive. I only buy things at small stalls outside Yuyuan garden, which I was able to get some really value for money stuff!!!! Anyway, must bargain hard for good deal!!!!




See the crowd...?? The best word to describe is in Chinese - 人山人海!!!

11 comments:

uLi.佑莉 said...

Yeah...saw this too during my JiangNan trip but i x try la...but it must be nice one :)

SimpleGirl said...

uLi, yes, maybe next time U can check it out....something special to savour!!!

worldwindows said...

The bao soup looks out of this world. Its been 4 years since I was there and at that time we were talking about the EXPO. And now its happening!

Miss V said...

the bao reminds me of the dragon-i's shanghai dumplings where it has little bit soup inside it. does it taste the same?

SimpleGirl said...

worldwindows, yea, time flies, the Expo was indeed a grand project, and I am happy that I got a chance to visit!N the bao was really superbly taste!

Miss V, no, different from Xiao Long Bao from Dragon i, ONLY soup inside, not like Xiao Long Bao.

iamthewitch said...

Cheng huang miao.. I'm having a hard time remembering if I've been there before because it sounds SO familiar! LOL! But I didn't have the chance to try the Guan Tang Bao coz it was apparently sold out that time.. :(

Little Inbox said...

Can't wait to try it! :P

SimpleGirl said...

iamthewitch, can definetely try it next time...

Littleinbox, U should try this bao if U happen to b there!!!

Big Boys Oven said...

Sucking out those delicious fillings and soup out of that bao can be luxurious! :) nice!

SimpleGirl said...

BBO, yes, that was really a great experience!!! delicious soup

ck lam said...

An interesting holiday...plus all the food :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails